Saturday, October 24, 2009

No more monkies jumping on the bed!

So yesterday about 4:30 I was playing on the bed with benson when he decided he wanted to get off. I grabbed his foot as his head went over the edge but he nailed his head on the petrified wood night stand by our bed. He started crying and blood started gushing out of his forehead. I rushed him to the bathroom and put pressure on the wound with a towel. He was screaming and trying to push it off the whole time. It kept bleeding and bleeding and it was really hard to tell how deep it was. I grabbed my phone with one hand and debated who to call first, Spencer at work, or my neighbor Rose the nurse. I called Rose and luckily she was home and available to rush over. She helped me calm down and helped keep Benson still. Finally it stopped bleeding. Rose said it would need stitches...I panicked and asked what about just a butterfly bandage? She helped me load him in the car, by this time Benson had stopped crying and was fine, just snacking on goldfish crackers. We got to Urgent care, which is litterally just a few blocks away. He came in looking like this, with dried blood everywhere and a gash in his forehead. The nurse put some numbing gel on it, and we sat for another 10 minutes... I thought he looked like a little cancer patient with this tape around his head.

Dad came straight from work and met us there. I held Bensons hands and body while Spence kept his head still so the nurse could inject a few shots of numbing gel. He was screaming the whole time!! It was so hard to watch. Then we sat for another 1o minutes, Benson is totally fine walkin around eating goldfish, and then its time to suture it up!!! We swaddled his arms down in a blanket, and pinned him down, and it took 3 of us to keep him still enough for the doctor to stitch it. He had 3-4 stitches and screamed bloody murder the entire time! He was sweating soo much when we took him out of the blanket and finally released him. Then he was perfectly fine again!

He got a yummy sucker at the end!

Here you can see how sweaty he got, and all of the crusted blood on his face! Poor kid! It was so scary. Thank you so much Rose for being there for me!!

I have to re-think Halloween costumes now, Benson was going to be a COW for Halloween, but maybe he should be Frankenstien...he already has the stitches on his forehead!






15 comments:

Pam said...

Those darn petrified wood tables. Gil's mom, of course, had lots of them around her house and was always so nervous that Angela or Amy while they were learning to walk would crash into them. They are definitely part of the Greer heritage but dangerous for the little ones. I am so sorry little Bens.

becca olsen said...

Oh no! Poor little guy! It's so hard watching them go through that! Glad he is ok now!

sdralphs said...

Oh so sad! Poor little Benson! I would have freaked out. That is why I cannot be a Mom. I don't handle those things very well. You are a rock star and so is Bens! He would make a cute Frankenstein!

Anonymous said...

Poor baby! I bet it was harder on Spencer than Benson!

Beth and Wes said...

I've been the nurse in that story! I always hate holding little kids down and they aren't even related to me, I can only imagine what it must have felt like for you! Sounds and looks like he's doing better now!

Chapples said...

Sounds like you had a rough day! You held yourself together really well! Scary when the babies get hurt. Maybe he should be Frankenstein now!

Amanda said...

So glad to hear he is ok. I hate those moments of what to do is it Urgent Care or can I just take care of it. Glad he is so tough. Love you guys

KatyBug said...

Oh no! I don't know if it was more traumatic for poor Benson or for his poor mommy! I'm glad he's okay, and yes, maybe you should re think the costume idea . . . Love you!

Amy Baker said...

I was wondering about his little band aid on his head at church today. I am glad he is alright and you all survived that ordeal. And yay for Rose the nurse!

Unknown said...

Poor Bens. One down, 427 to go.

Which reminds me, where is my petrified wood table? Maybe I'll wait until all of my kids are three before bringing it home.

LeAnn said...

Yep...one down so many more to go. I love the pic of you and Bens. He looks pretty pathetic and you, of course, look beautiful.

Marshall and Rose Lowry said...

I just found your blog. It is so cute! I'm so glad you called me to help with Benson! Thanks for the yummy cookies!

BuNksJuNk said...

OH! Poor, sweet thing! That is so sad. Hope he is feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Chels, I know! it is so nice and warm in AZ. You need to convince your hubby that this is THE place to live!
Love,
Ange

KB said...

aw poor lil guy!